U-M Counseling and Psychological Services

In August 2014, Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) embarked on a new way of effectively and efficiently distributing mental health services for students across the schools and colleges by creating a community-based model - placing CAPS clinicians inside some of the schools and colleges, known as the Embedded Model. The following represents the timeline of how the Embedded Program has grown to currently being in 18 Schools/Colleges across campus.

  • Fall 2014: Three counselors started the model in the four Schools and Colleges on North Campus (Music, Theatre & Dance, Art & Design, Architecture and Urban Planning, Engineering)
  • Fall 2015: Four counselors added in Rackham, Dentistry, Law, and Business.
  • Fall 2017: Five counselors expanded the Embedded Model in Social Work, Pharmacy, Nursing, and LSA Comprehensive Studies Program.  
  • Fall 2018: One counselor added in the School of Public Health.
  • Winter 2020: One counselor dedicated to the School for Environment and Sustainability
  • Fall 2020: Four counselors added in Education, Public Policy, Kinesiology, Information, and LSA Graduate Students

Embedded Counselors (click staff names for direct links to staff bio pages):

A. Alfred Taubman College of Architecture & Urban Planning

Penny W. Stamps School of Art & Design

School of Dentistry

College of Engineering

School for Environment and Sustainability

LSA Graduate Students

Rackham Graduate School

School of Information

School of Law

School of Music, Theatre & Dance

School of Nursing

College of Pharmacy

School of Social Work