Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Column 1

Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) provides free and confidential services for currently enrolled U-M undergraduate and graduate/professional students. We strive to provide the following services in an atmosphere that is welcoming, comfortable, and multi-culturally sensitive for all students:
- Brief, Solution-Focused Individual Counseling
- Group Counseling
- Couples Counseling
- Drop-in Workshops
- Consultations
- Urgent/Crisis Services
- Case Management and Referrals
- Community Engagement & Outreach

Monday - Thursday: 8am-6pm
Friday: 8am-5pm
Saturday - Sunday: Closed 

Currently enrolled U-M Ann Arbor students are eligible for services.

No additional fees are charged for our services.

The main central campus office for Counseling and Psychological Services is on the 4th Floor of the Michigan Union (530 South State Street).  CAPS also has Embedded counselors located in various Schools and Colleges.

No. The Faculty and Staff Counseling and Consultation Office (FASCCO) counselors are happy to help any faculty or staff members. Their number is 936.8660, and the office is located at 2076 Administrative Services Building (corner of Hoover and Green). 

Friends can come in and talk to a therapist together. If you are an enrolled student, and your friend or family member is not, you can still meet with a therapist together.

Yes. If you are in an urgent situation or feel you cannot wait until the first available appointment, we have counselors on duty (COD) available during our office hours. This is on a first come-first served basis and you will need to complete the computerized intake process prior to meeting with a therapist.

Since every situation is different we do not have a set number of times a student can be seen by one of our therapists. However, CAPS treatment philosophy is based on a brief treatment model. 

If you don't feel comfortable talking with that particular therapist and would like to schedule an appointment with a different therapist, let the receptionist know that you'd like to make a first counseling appointment with a different therapist.

To schedule your CAPS appointment online please follow this link:

If you don’t want to schedule using the online system you can email our virtual front desk at [email protected] to request an initial consultation and for all other appointment requests or service needs. (Please be aware that email is only monitored weekdays from 8 am to 5 pm, excluding holidays or breaks.)

If you are seeking an appointment with an embedded counselor in your school or college, you need to email that counselor directly. Click HERE for a list of embedded counselors and their contact information.

Due to the COVID-19 global pandemic, CAPS services are provided by tele-counseling (i.e., secure services via the phone or computer). If you have an urgent matter when CAPS is closed, please call 734- 764-8312 to connect with CAPS After Hours. For mental health emergencies in Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti, call Psychiatric Emergency Services at 734-936-5900. IF THIS IS AN EMERGENCY OR YOU ARE CONCERNED ABOUT YOUR SAFETY THEN CALL 911.

For more information on Clinical Services during the COVID-19 Pandemic please click HERE.

Completing the intake process prior your appointment allows your therapist time to become familiar with your situation, prepare for your Initial Consultation (IC), and make recommendations for the most effective treatment options for you.

If you have a particular request, (e.g. for a specific therapist or for a specific clinical issue) please note this on the intake form. Although we cannot always fulfill your request, when asked we do try to honor this request. However, the wait time for the appointment may be longer in this case. See Meet our Staff page.

Unless you are being accommodated for a specific request, you will be scheduled with whichever therapist has the first available appointment that matches your schedule. The appointment could be with a Clinical Social Worker, Psychologist, Post Masters Social Work Fellow, or Post Doctoral Fellow, or a Graduate Student Intern (someone who's almost finished with a Ph.D. in Psychology or a Master's degree in Clinical Social Work).

CAPS is committed to minimizing wait times for a Initial Consultation appointment as much as possible. Sometimes, even with the number of first counseling appointments that are offered, the wait for a scheduled appointment can stretch longer than what we want depending on the number of students requesting services at any given time in the semester.

All Initial Consultation appointments and returning appointments are scheduled for 45 minutes (they always start on the hour).

When it comes to protecting your information, CAPS follows all professional standards, and state and federal laws. For more specific information, review our Confidentiality Information .

If you are 18 years of age or older, your parents won’t be notified unless you sign a “Release of Information” form.  If you are under 18, please ask your counselor about the changes to confidentiality.

No, absolutely not.

Some students are uncertain or unfamiliar with medication for mental health.  CAPS offers support for students as they explore their options (including medication) for mental health treatment.  Find additional information about Psychiatric Support HERE.

Clients attend on average 3.5 sessions. Depending on your circumstances, you can make the decision with your counselor to attend more than 5 sessions.

Decisions to provide more than 5 individual sessions of therapy involve a number of considerations including: complex reactions to traumatic events; not having insurance or being under-insured or out-of-state insurance; not having access to transportation or a schedule that fits with off-campus services; or experiencing a high degree of social stigma based on social identity group that makes CAPS the safest or most comfortable resource on campus or in the community.

Column 2
white character with a red question mark behind