Check out the cool video to learn about making the Initial Consultation appointment!
You may come to CAPS and complete the online intake information any time the office is open up until an hour before we close. During the academic year, you may come Monday-Thursday between 8am-6pm and Friday 8am-4pm. Once you complete the information, you will be set up for a 30 minute face-to-face Initial Consultation (IC) appointment with a CAPS counselor within 1-5 days (depending on student demand during certain points of the year). Some weeks during the semester have bigger fluctuations in demand.
See Current Wait Time HERE. During this IC, you can expect to:
- Discuss the concern(s) that brought you to seek services at CAPS
- During an IC, if you are in crisis or have a more urgent situation, you will be referred to our Counselor on Duty (COD) for immediate help.
Collaboratively make decisions for the most effective next steps for treatment that include the following possible options:
- First Counseling Appointment with a CAPS counselor for brief, solution focused individual counseling
- Participation in a CAPS therapeutic group
- Participation in a common concerns clinical workshop
- Participation in one of our three in-depth screening services (~3 sessions) for alcohol/other other drug issues, ADHD, or eating issues.
- Connect with a CAPS Case Manager for comprehensive treatment planning for treatment elsewhere on campus or in the Ann Arbor community
- Connection to other UM resources that support mental health care
- Referral to a community mental health provider for open-ended therapeutic treatment