Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) provides free confidential psychological services for currently enrolled U of M undergraduate and graduate students. These services include support for students experiencing a crisis or urgent situation. The following is a list of crisis services provided by CAPS. Consultation with CAPS is available if help (in-person or virtually) is needed in determining what service fits for your need.
CAPS Urgent Support:
Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday: 10am - 5:30pm
Tuesday: 11am - 5:30pm
Friday: 10am - 4:30pm
To see our Counselor on Duty for urgent/crisis needs, please call our Front Desk at 734-764-8312 or come into our Central Campus Office (4th Floor Michigan Union). Staff will provide next steps which will include completing intake or basic information forms. At that point, you'll be able to meet with a counselor as soon as possible.
For urgent/crisis needs after hours, please call CAPS After Hours.
Examples of reasons to see the "Counselor on Duty" include:
- If you are not feeling safe
- If someone close to you has died recently
- If you have a difficult decision to make in the next 2-3 days
- If you have been sexually assaulted within the past 72 hours
- If you have been experiencing a lot of stress for a long time and feel like you really must speak with someone today
CAPS Phone Urgent Support After Hours (24/7: Evenings, Weekends, Holidays)