Due to the COVID 19 global pandemic, CAPS has made adjustments to services based on recommendations from UM (including the Environmental, Health, and Safety Department) and the CDC to support the physical safety of our community. CAPS is open with hours Monday-Friday 9am-5pm, and our services are mainly virtual. CAPS staff are actively engaged in supporting the mental health needs of UM students through tele-counseling, crisis support, and virtual outreach. The following are some answers to frequently asked questions about our services during the Pandemic. We invite you to call us (734-764-8312) if you don’t see your question on this page or need more information.
For this semester, will you offer counseling in person or virtually?
I am an enrolled UM student but live outside of the state of Michigan (including outside the United States) and don’t plan to return to Michigan this semester, what services can I receive?
Currently enrolled students who are not in Michigan are eligible for a one-time consultation (on a secure platform) with a counselor. This is due to our state licensing laws with governs our clinical practice.
We are happy to provide a number of services to students out of state:
How do I schedule an appointment?
- Over the Spring/Summer, CAPS has launched a new online scheduling system to make scheduling first appointments at CAPS easier. Students can now schedule an initial consultation online. For all other appointment needs, students can contact CAPS by calling 734-764-8312 or by email at email@example.com. Information about scheduling an appointment can be found HERE.
- If you are a student in a School or College with an Embedded CAPS staff member, you can email that counselor directly to set up an appointment. Find a full list of Embedded CAPS staff and their School/Colleges HERE .
Can I still meet with my Embedded Counselor?
- Many students have found it helpful to meet an Embedded Counselor in their School/College. Our CAPS Embedded staff are available to meet virtually with students. To contact them, and to learn more about our Embedded Model, please visit: https://caps.umich.edu/caps-embedded-model
Do you have any resources specifically related to COVID-19?
- Over the Spring/Summer, CAPS staff have worked to create and assemble a brand new COVID-19 hub of virtual resources. Check it out HERE .
What are your hours?
- Monday-Friday 9am-5pm
Can I still come to the Union (CAPS Central Office) for counseling?
- CAPS central office is located on the fourth floor of the Michigan Union and is open weekdays from 9 am to 5 pm. We will have a limited number of private spaces available for students to connect with their counselor via telecounseling.
If I come into CAPS Central Office, what safety precautions can I expect to see?
- All staff and students will follow established University public health guidelines including wearing masks and maintaining social distance. CAPS waiting area will include chairs that are at least 6ft apart and plexiglass at the front desk. All cleaning guidelines will be followed.
Are CAPS Wellness Zones open?
- All 3 Wellness Zones (Union, Munger, Pierpont) will be closed for August and September and will be re-evaluated in early October.
Find additional Frequently Asked Questions about CAPS HERE.
We encourage you to check out the COVID-19 Maize and Blueprint Frequently Asked Questions page for the University HERE .