Being a member of the UM community provides a unique opportunity and responsibility to make a real difference in the lives of our students. As a quilt is made of many different strands and colors, our many different roles can also combine to form a strong support network for all students. It is through this support network that we can "change the story" for one individual AND on a campus-wide level.
Here are a few ways you can help:
- Contribute to Messages of Hope by sharing words of encouragement, inspiration, and resiliency.
- If you realize someone may be suicidal; take them seriously, and be willing to listen.
- Reach out! Asking someone if they are feeling suicidal does not increase risk.
- Don't try to do everything yourself, consult and get others involved.
- Don't promise secrecy and don't worry about being disloyal.
- Help the person find a knowledgeable mental health professional.