While college can be stressful and everyone will at some moment feel “down and discouraged,” when a friend or family member’s activity and outlook on life stays “down” for weeks and begins to affect your relationship, they might be suffering from depression. Know that you can help.
What is helpful
- Being sensitive — noticing what effect your words and actions have on the person.
- Be natural, be yourself.
- Looking after your own needs.
- Most importantly, educate yourself!
What is not helpful
- Telling or forcing someone to “Snap out of it!”.
- Trying to draw someone out of depression by persuasion, contrived cheerfulness or funny jokes.
- Correcting destructive, illogical, pessimistic viewpoints.