- What if……. the number of deaths by suicide was zero each year?
- How can we address and accomplish a culture of caring for students in any level of psychological distress?
- How can we promote and give tools to enact 2 central themes of “hope” and “resiliency”?
These questions have driven CAPS to do something more around suicide prevention for our campus.
Suicide is the second leading cause of death among college students. One suicide is too many.
At UM CAPS, 38% of students have thought about or considered suicide. Students also report the following related experiences:
- Perceived or actual lack of support
- Academic concerns that may be experienced as failure
- Lacking coping skills and feelings of Hopelessness
- Identity concerns
Find out more about Suicide Prevention efforts at CAPS HERE.