The app, produced by the national Stressbusters wellness program, now makes it possible for students and others in the UM community to view, share, store and use campus event announcements, news alerts, student and department videos, one-touch dial emergency buttons, health tips, surveys and other features, directly on their iOS and Android mobile devices.
The Stressbusters app is tailored specifically to meet the wellness needs of University of Michigan students as they strive to be Leaders at their Best. Most students have their phones with them all the time and use their phone often throughout the day. This app is part of CAPS continual efforts to provide students with quick and easy to use resources at their fingertips that help integrate mental health wellness strategies into their busy academic lives. The app will be continually updated and always available with interactive features including:
- Wellness Messages: short messages written by UM students, as well as a team of faculty, staff, parents, administrators, counselors, alums – specifically for UM students and all focused on emotional health, maintaining perspective, and just plain fun things to help get through the day.
- Break Pad:, a ‘sonic spa’ featuring Quick Calm, Go Coastal, The Tranquilizer and other audio tracks to increase calm and focus.
- Videostream: a channel of changing videos from the CAPS SAB developed just for the app, along with Stressbusters how-to segments, expert interviews, and other relevant short videos.
- Events: information about events that promote well-being occurring on and around campus
- Health Links: a directory of wellness resources (e.g., University Health Services, Sexual Assault Awareness and Prevention Center) around campus with links to easily call or access more information their services.
- Health Rewards: an initiative designed like an airline frequent flyer program that awards accumulating points for participation in CAPS and other UM wellness activities. The rewards will be UM items, various discounts, and some special surprise rewards.
In addition, App users can also share information, event announcements, resources and photos via Facebook, Twitter, email and text. They can also voice their opinions on polls and surveys, instantly access community support services, get special offers and discounts from local businesses, and participate in video, photo and other contests.
The Stressbusters app is available in Apple’s App Store and Google Play for Android devices at no cost. Future versions of the app that will expand its stress relief and wellness offerings are already in development.
The app for the Michigan student community has been made possible by the generosity of Gatof Family Foundation.