Our urgent/crisis services are available for those students who are in crisis or have an urgent need to be seen by our counselor on duty. Counselor on Duty is available in-person or virtually:
- Monday - Friday: 10am - 4:30pm
To see our Counselor on Duty for urgent/crisis needs, please call our Front Desk at 734-764-8312 or come into our Central Campus Office (4th Floor Michigan Union). Staff will provide next steps which will include completing intake or basic information forms. At that point, you'll be able to meet with a counselor as soon as possible.
For urgent/crisis needs after hours, please call CAPS After Hours.
Examples of reasons to see the "Counselor on Duty" include:
- If you are not feeling safe
- If someone close to you has died recently
- If you have a difficult decision to make in the next 2-3 days
- If you have been sexually assaulted within the past 72 hours
- If you have been experiencing a lot of stress for a long time and feel like you really must speak with someone today
Benefits of our telemental health (phone or zoom) COD support:
- Increased access to services. Students no longer have to come into our physical office to receive support from a counselor. This allows for saving time if you have an urgent need and ability to do your meeting in the comfort and familiarity of your own space. Additionally, greater access may support those students with disabilities, living outside of Ann Arbor, concerns regarding inclement weather, and students with off site field experiences.
- Reducing barriers. Those who are impacted by increased mental health stigma from families or cultures they grew up in, or struggle with PTSD, social anxiety, etc may find it easier and safer to do telemental health compared with coming into an office.
- Authenticity of emotional expression. Some students may feel more comfortable with sharing and may share more with telemental health options.
- Counseling without masks. Many therapists and clients have spoken about the challenge (hearing challenges and limited facial expression) of doing therapy with a mask on. Telemental health allows for therapy to occur mask free.