To schedule the Initial Consultation (IC)
Check out the cool video to watch the process unfold!
- Come in to CAPS at 3100 Michigan Union and request an Initial Consultation (IC) with a counselor
- You will be asked to sign a consent form and complete the confidential computerized intake paperwork process
- Once you have completed the intake paperwork , the receptionist will schedule a 30 minute Initial Consultation (IC) appointment within 1-3 days.
What you can expect during your 30 minute, face-to-face Initial Consultation (IC) meeting with a CAPS counselor:
- Discuss the concern(s) that brought you to seek services at CAPS
- During an IC, if you are in crisis or have a more urgent situation, you will be referred to our Counselor on Duty (COD) for immediate help.
Collaboratively make decisions for the most effective next steps for treatment that include the following possible options:
- First Counseling Appointment with a CAPS counselor for brief, solution focused individual counseling
- Participation in a CAPS therapeutic group
- Participation in a common concerns clinical workshop
- Participation in one of our three in-depth screening services (~3 sessions) for alcohol/other other drug issues, ADHD, or eating issues.
- Connect with a CAPS Case Manager for comprehensive treatment planning for treatment elsewhere on campus or in the Ann Arbor community
- Connection to other UM resources that support mental health care
- Referral to a community mental health provider for open-ended therapeutic treatment